Tutorial 3: Search Using Geographies, Population Groups and Industry Codes
You must have the Adobe Flash Player plug-in
installed to play this video.
Video transcript »
Skip video and media player
- Welcome to the American FactFinder Search using Geographies, Population Groups, and Industry Codes Tutorial.
- In this tutorial, we will demonstrate how to search for data using Geographies, Population Groups, and Industry Codes.
- After viewing this tutorial, you will be able to use these methods to search for data in American FactFinder.
- To begin, navigate to the American FactFinder main page at factfinder2.census.gov.
- You can search for data or refine your search using Geographies, Population Groups, or Industry Codes.
- In this tutorial, we will demonstrate the search feature using Geographies.
- To begin, click on Geographies on the left navigation bar to display the Geographies Overlay.
- The Geographies Overlay appears over the Search Results Page.
- At the top of the Geographies Overlay, notice three tabs labeled Name, Address, and Map.
- Using these options, you can perform a geographic search by entering a geography name or an address or by making geographic selections on a map.
- In this tutorial, we will cover the Geography Name search method.
- Let's work within the Geographies Overlay.
- To begin, type "Ohio" in the Geography Name Search text box and click GO.
- As you enter the text, notice the type-ahead overlay appears with recommendations.
- Notice after clicking the GO button:
- Your Geography Filters are updated with the word "Ohio";
- The Geography Results now contain all geographies containing the word "Ohio"; and
- The Geography Filter Options are reduced.
- You can add and remove items from the Your Geography Filters at any time.
- Select the check box for the first item on the list (Ohio) and click the Add button.
- After clicking the Add button notice that:
- Your Selections is updated with Ohio and
- The search results are reduced.
- Let's return to the Geographies Overlay.
- This time, we will use the Geography Filter Options on the left to search for geographies.
- Notice there are a variety of familiar methods for locating Census data including:
- Geographic Type,
- Summary Level, or
- Geographies contained within another geography, such as "all geographies in Alabama".
- For this demonstration, let's select several counties in Ohio.
- Using your Geography Filter Options, expand the "Within State" section.
- Notice this list only contains states that have a geography with the text "Ohio".
- Select Ohio.
- Your Geography Results are updated showing only geographies that are within Ohio.
- Select the check boxes next to several Ohio counties and click the Add button.
- Close the Overlay.
- Your Selections is updated with the selected counties in Ohio.
- The search results are refined, and
- The topic categories also are updated.
- Now that you have learned how to search using Geographies, you can easily search using Population Groups and Industry Codes.
- The Population Groups Overlay allows you to search for data by a particular race or ethnic group, tribe or tribal group, or ancestry group.
- When we expand this Overlay, notice navigation functions similar to the Geographies Overlay like a Population Group Search text box, Your Population Group Filters, Population Group Filter Options, and Population Group Results.
- The Industry Codes Overlay allows you to search for data using codes from the Economic Census and Annual Economic Surveys.
- Again, notice that when we expand this Overlay, it contains navigation functions similar to the Geographies Overlay like an Industry Code text box, Your Industry Code Filters, Industry Code Filter Options, and Industry Code Results.
- This concludes the Search using Geographies, Population Groups, and Industry Codes Tutorial.
- In this tutorial, you learned how to Search using Geographies, Population Groups, and Industry Codes.
- For more information, visit American FactFinder at factfinder2.census.gov.