American FactFinder Virtual Tour
Welcome to American FactFinder - New Look, New Tools, Easier Access
You must have the Adobe Flash Player plug-in
installed to play this video.
Video transcript »
- Welcome to the American FactFinder Virtual Tour.
- With the release of the first 2010 Census data, the US Census Bureau will launch a new American FactFinder.
- The new American FactFinder offers a new look, new tools, and easier access to Census data.
- In this virtual tour, we will introduce you to American FactFinder's enhanced features and functions.
- Let's look at the new American FactFinder main page.
- There are many ways to search for data in American FactFinder.
- Use Quick Start to search for data using keywords or phrases.
- Select pre-defined Topics, Geographies, Population Groups or Industry Codes to search for data.
- Choose Reference Maps to view geographic boundaries or to select geographies from a map.
- Choose Address Search to find data for a specific address or location.
- Let's take a closer at American FactFinder's robust search features. Follow along as we search using Quick Start.
- Enter Population Estimates and Ohio and click GO.
- American FactFinder uses its powerful search engine to quickly provide search results.
- American FactFinder allows you to refine your search and easily view and download data products.
- Your Selections helps you track and manage your search criteria.
- Notice that the search criteria we entered into Quick Start are shown in Your Selections.
- The number of search results is updated as you select your search criteria.
- Notice that you can refine your search by entering a keyword in the 'Search within results for' text box.
- After you have finished refining your search criteria, you can select one or more tables to view and download.
- To select a single table, simply click on the title of the table you want to view.
- The selected table displays in American FactFinder.
- American FactFinder offers enhanced table features that allow you to quickly modify a table.
- When you select Modify Table, several tools display that allow you to:
- Show or hide rows and columns,
- Collapse or expand groups of data in the table,
- Rearrange the rows and columns,
- Sort rows in ascending and descending order, and
- Filter the rows of a table.
- After you are done modifying the table, you can bookmark or download the table for future use.
- Another new feature of American FactFinder is the ability to see geographic patterns in the data by viewing the data on a map.
- Let's view this table as a map.
- Click "Create a Map" and then select a data cell to display on your map.
- Next click Show Map. The map displays.
- You can manipulate the map with tools like zoom, pan, and identify.
- Personalize your map by changing colors, displaying boundaries and features, or adding points or text to the map.
- After you have created a map, you can print or download the map.
- Click Main to return to the American FactFinder Main Page.
- This concludes the American FactFinder Virtual Tour.
- For more information, visit American FactFinder at factfinder2.census.gov.