Transpose Rows and Columns Tutoria
You must have the Adobe Flash Player plug-in
installed to play this video.
Video transcript »
- Welcome to the American FactFinder Transpose Rows and Columns Tutorial.
- In this Tutorial, we will show you how to:
- Switch the rows and columns of a table you are viewing;
- Save or Download the transposed table; and
- Reset the transposed table back to its original form.
- Let’s begin with the TOTAL POPULATION table for All States.
- Click Modify Table in the Actions toolbar to display the Table Tools.
- Table Tools includes a Transpose Rows/Columns button.
- Before we transpose the table, let’s take a look at the structure of the table.
- Notice that the table is organized by Total Population across all states.
- The states are in the columns and the Total Population is in the row.
- Notice the number 1 through 18 of 52 at the top of the table. These indicate that only the first 18 columns are visible on this page.
- You can use the single arrow to view the next 18 columns. To jump to the last columns, you can click on the double arrow.
- FactFinder provides these controls whenever the table is too wide for one page.
- To transpose the table, click the Transpose Rows/Columns button.
- The structure of the table has changed – the rows and columns have exchanged places.
- The states are in the rows, and the Total Population is in the column heading.
- A note is added to the table indicating that this is a modified view of the original table.
- You can continue making modifications to the table using the other table tools. See the Modify a Table Tutorial for more information.
- Once you have finished modifying your table, you can download the table with the changes you made.
- You can also use the bookmark button to save your query.
- To return this table to its original form, or to modify the table differently, click the Reset Table button.
- Click OK in the dialog box that displays to restore the table to its original view.
- The original view of the table is restored.
- This concludes the Transpose Rows and Columns Tutorial.
- In this tutorial, you learned how to:
- Transpose the rows and columns of a table;
- Bookmark or Download the transposed table; and
- Reset the transposed table back to its original view.
- For more information visit American FactFinder at factfinder2.census.gov.