A reference map can be used to view boundaries for geographic areas, or to select geographic areas to add to your selections. Access reference maps from the main page or the map tab in the geography overlay. For example, find a map of Ohio by selecting Ohio from the drop-down box on the main page or select the map tab from the geography overlay and click Ohio on the map. View these methods below:
Geographic Selection Map Tab
Reference Map Search on the Main Page
Select geographies to add to “Your Selections” using the geography selection tools to the left of the reference map. See Select Geographies on a Map for more information.
View a reference map from the main page:
1. Select either United States or a state from the drop-down menu, .
2. Click GO
The map tab displays the United States or the selected state.
Basic Map Tools – Reference maps and thematic maps share basic tools such as zooming, panning, printing, and changing the map scale. Read about these tools in the Basic Map Tools help section.
– Select geographies to view on a reference map and add to your selections. Read Selecting Geographic Areas on a Map.
– Identify what colors relate to what features and boundaries in the map legend.
– Select boundaries and features to display on the map.
– Enter an address, place name, or lattitude and longitude to find a location on a map. Read Finding a Location and Repositioning a Map.
– Place point map markers of different colors and sizes as well as text on a reference map. Read Placing Map Markers.
Creating a Thematic Map
Finding a Location and Repositioning a Map
Changing Map Boundaries and Features
Placing Map Markers
Basic Map Tools